0 0 0

Days Until Graduation

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
~ Socrates

Event Calendar

School Scrapbook

view photo gallery

Jaden Burckhalter

Lorraine Bechtel

Home Services Food Services Guidelines and Applications


Guidelines & Applications

SUCCESS has always been easy to measure.
It is the distance between one's origins and one's final achievement.
.. Michael Korda

2016-2017 Meal Benefit Application Form

High School Breakfast Service: 6:45 - 7:20 AM
Middle School Breakfast Service: Breakfast Service in the Classroom
Elementary School Breakfast Service: Breakfast Service in the Classroom
Cost of Breakfast is $1.00.  Cost of Lunch is $2.20 (Elementary), $2.50 (Middle School), and $2.85 (High School).

Children may qualify for free meals or reduced price meals.  Reduced prices are $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.  Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  

No, use one Free and Reduced Price School School Neaks Application for all Student in your household.  we cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.  Return the completed application to Mrs. Wendy Elgart at the high school. 

2.  Who can get free meals?

All Children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly Food Stamps or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits are eligible for free meals.

Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.

Children participating in their school's Head Start program are eligible for free meals.                                                                                              

3. How do I know if my children qualify as Homeless, Migrant, or Runaway? 

Do the members of your household lack a permanent address?  Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangements?  Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis?  Are any children lifing with you who have chosen to leave theri proior family or household?  If you believe children in your hosehold meet these descriptions andhaven't been told your children will get gree meals, please e-mail Chris Pugliese, Homeless Liaison, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

4. Who can get reduced price meals?

Your child(ren) can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

5.  Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced price meals?  

No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions.  If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Wendy Elgard at 610-622-7000 ext 2405 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

6.  Can I apply online?

Yes!  You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able.  The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application.  Visit www.upperdarbysd.org or visit the Department of Human Services website at compass.state.pa.gov. 

7.  I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

8.  Will the information I provide be checked?

Yes.  We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

9.  If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving Food Stamps or TANF. If you lose your job, your children may be able to get free or reduced price meals. Contact your school.

10. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?

You should talk to your school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Ms. Wendy Elgart, Food Service Director, at 610-622-7000 x2359, or Upper Darby School District, 601 N. Lansdowne Ave., Drexel Hill, PA 19026

11.  May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

12.  My child's application was approved last year.  Do I need to fill out another one?

Yes. Your child's application is only good for that school year and for the first 30 operating days of this school year.  You must send in a new application by the application due date of October 2, 2015 unless the school told you that your child has been directly certified for free meals for the new school year.

13.  What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.  If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

14.  We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance or combat pay as income?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income.  If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income.  However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

15.  My family needs more help, Are there other programs we might apply for?  

To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits visit www.compass.state.pa.us, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-692-7462.

If you have other questions or need help, call Wendy Elgart (610-622-7000 x2359).  To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-692-7462.

Last modified on Tuesday, 23 August 2016 17:28

Please login using your Upper Darby or LDAP credentials.

UDSD Disclaimer

You are now leaving the Upper Darby School District website. The Upper Darby School District is not responsible for the content or reliability of any other website to which we provide a link and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within that website.