Working Papers

  • Students who are 14 to 18 years of age who seek employment in Pennsylvania must have working papers issued to be legally employed. There are restrictions as to the length and type of jobs for which minors may be hired. Without working papers on file, employers could be fined and insurance questions could arise should an injury occur on the job. Because each state has different laws, working papers are issued by the state in which the job is located. Upper Darby High School can issue working papers only for jobs in Pennsylvania. Applications for work permits are issued through the attendance office. Since working papers are legal documents, we must have on file a copy of a birth certificate for proof of age.
    In order to obtain working papers from Upper Darby High School, the child MUST be a resident of the Upper Darby School District, which includes Upper Darby Township and the boroughs of Clifton Heights and Millbourne. In compliance with Child Labor Laws, the child’s parent/guardian MUST appear in person to obtain an application for working papers. The parent must sign the application at this time.

    In addition, a copy of the child’s birth certificate is required at the time of application.

    The Child Labor Law (January 2013) states that the principal of the issuing school district must verify the applicant's grades prior to issuing the "Blue" transferable work permit.  The student will be notified if the work permit was approved and must report to the Attendance Office at Upper Darby High School to sign the permit in front of the issuing officer.

    Applications for working papers are taken in the Attendance Office of the Upper Darby High School between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Questions should be directed to the Attendance Office.

    (610) 622-7000, ext. 2223 or 2306.