To provide a comprehensive and challenging educational program which encourages all learners in a safe environment to respect others, value education, and appreciate and contribute to their community as confident, independent thinkers.
Our Belief Statements
Upper Darby School District's academic programs are based on the following beliefs, which were endorsed by the 2007-2013 Strategic Plan Steering Committee.
- All individuals are capable of learning.
- Individuals learn in different ways and at different rates.
- Individuals have the right to be treated with respect and dignity.
- Students are unique individuals with varied talents and skills.
- Successful learning experiences build self-esteem.
- Learning is most effective in a caring environment where high standards of social interaction are maintained.
- Education should encourage individuals to acquire knowledge and attitudes necessary to live in a changing global society.
- Critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making are essential life skills.
- Updates in technology necessitate continuous personal and organizational adjustment.
- Professional development of all staff is vital to meet the changing needs of students and to reflect current best practices.
- The educational program must meet the needs of all learners and be responsive to the needs and resources of the community.
- Cultural and ethnic diversity is a valued strength of our community.
- Society benefits when individual rights are balanced with the needs of the group as a whole.
- Quality public education directly benefits the entire community.
- Lifelong learning is essential for all individuals.
- Education is the responsibility of the entire community, the school, the family, and, most importantly, the individual.