Comprehensive Equity Team
The Comprehensive Equity Team, which includes parents, teachers, administrators, and representation from the School Board of Directors, came together with a shared commitment and spirit of collaboration in creating a more excellent and equitable outcome for students. To that end, the Comprehensive Equity Team met regularly to engage in self-reflection, examine current practices and policies through an equity lens, and provide recommendations for eliminating gaps in opportunity and access due to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, geography and gender. The team serves as the guiding coalition for the Upper Darby School District Comprehensive Equity Plan.
The Team conducted a cultural audit which included staff surveys, student focus groups, as well as a review of the comprehensive plan and District policies to gauge the baseline state of cultural competency in t6he Upper Darby School District. As a result of that work, the Team identified the following action areas:
- Constructing and enacting an equity vision
- Engaging in self-reflection and growth
- Collaborating with families and communities
- Hiring and placing personnel
Through strategic action planning around these action areas, the team intends to identify areas for growth, set SMART goals, collect and analyze data, identify strategies and action steps for improvement, and monitor and adjust the plan as appropriate.
Meet the members of the Upper Darby School District Comprehensive Equity Leadership Team!
- Dr. John Council, Assistant Superintendent of Personnel and Equity
- Melissa Figueroa-Douglas, M.Ed., Supervisor of Equity
- Gina Curry, School Board Member
- Leah Dawes, School Board Member
- Vincent Gordon, Former School Board Member, Parent
- Aaronda Q. Beauford, M.Ed., Director of Communications
- Dina Williams, Kindergarten Center, Principal
- Bill Rogers, Primos Elementary School, Principal
- Dr. Matthew Alloway, Drexel Hill Middle School, Principal
- Carrie Chaitt, Instructional Coach
- Cynthia Milord, Hillcrest Elementary School, Lead Teacher
- Andrea Gallo, Parent